Cold shooting doomed the Hurricanes against Indiana State on Tuesday.
UM hit on just 33.8 percent of its shots, missed all 15 three-point attempts and made 11 of 21 free throws in a 57-55 overtime loss.
The Hurricanes are now 8-3 after dropping two of its three games at the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii. Indiana State is 7-4.
UM lost when Jake Odom hit a 15-footer with 0.8 seconds remaining in overtime.
"We just struggled all game long, couldn't make a 3, 0-for-15 for the game," coach Jim Larranaga said. "Fifty-two percent from the foul line, 33 percent from the field and still had a chance to win. You don't normally produce those kinds of numbers."
The Hurricanes' only player to hit more than 50 percent of his shots was Julian Gamble, who was filling in for the injured Reggie Johnson (thumb). Gamble hit on five of nine shots for 11 points along with nine rebounds, but he fouled out with 4:27 remaining in regulation - he's the first Hurricane to foul out this season.
Kenny Kadji had a team-high 13 points and seven rebounds, and Durand Scott had 12 points but hit on just four of 13 shots. Trey McKinney Jones had six points and 11 rebounds.
Miami outrebounded ISU 47-46.
"I can't believe it, that was just a big-time toughness test," Sycamores coach Greg Lansing said. "We didn't shoot (well), we didn't get a lot of breaks during that game. We got down 47-40 and the guys just stuck their noses in there and kept fighting, kept fighting. We got tremendous contributions from the bench and Jake Odum can make some plays in the clutch."
The Hurricanes now have a chance to regroup with the team's next game Jan. 2 against La Salle.
* Starters for the game: Shane Larkin, Durand Scott, Trey McKinney Jones, Kenny Kadji, Julian Gamble.
* Miami outrebounded ISU 47-46, and led in points in the paint (38-18), points off of turnovers (11-2) and second-chance points (18-7).
* Miami was 0-15 from distance against ISU. The last time Miami was held without a 3-point bucket was on Dec. 15, 2001 when the Canes were 0-13 against Indiana, who shot 1-15 in the Orange Bowl Classic game held at American Airlines Arena in Miami. UM won that game 58-53. The Hurricanes had made a 3-point basket in 354 straight games and have made at least one trey in 811 of 815 games since the NCAA adopted the 3-point shot in 1986.
* Julian Gamble scored 11 points for Miami, recording double digits in two of the three games in the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic, and third time this year. Gamble blocked 4 shots, topping his season high of two, and grabbed nine rebounds, just missing his fourth career double-double.
* Trey McKinney Jones pulled down a career high 11 rebounds, topping his previous best of nine at Ole Miss last season. McKinney Jones added six points, two assists and a steal in 44 minutes.